Friday, February 29, 2008

Little losses can mean big success

I made it through yet another week without anything but Optifast shakes and soup and my weight loss was a whopping 3.5 lbs. I have to be honest, my first reaction to that number was disappointment since I had lost 10 lbs last week. I sat there for a moment turning that number over and over in my head thinking "Are you f-ing kidding me, I eat 800 calories a day and this is all I get out of it?". So I did a little calculation : 13.5 lbs + (12 weeks * 3 lbs) = 49.5 lbs of weight loss at the end of the active phase of weight loss. I am such an idiot. Those self defeating thoughts are exactly what keep me overweight. 3.5 lbs is a HUGE success and I need to recognize that and the health benefits that I reap with each pound of fat gone from my body.


I have already begun to see huge improvements in my blood sugar levels and I beleive I can possibly come off my metaformin (the drug used to control my blood sugar levels) with even just 20 more lbs off. A normal blood sugar reading is 80-120 and before I started the program (and since the holidays) they had been averaging 115 in the morning. Now when I wake up the readings have been between 85 and 95 which is incredible. They drew blood last week and the doctor was impressed that at the end of the day and within two hours of eating my blood sugar was only 87. That improvement alone is worth every dime I spend to lose weight. (Look for my diabetes blog after this - I think I'll post it here too to help people understand better).




So after 2 weeks I have lost 13.5 lbs and I can already start to notice little changes like being able to breathe easier since my pants aren't cutting off my circulation, I can start to see my dimples again in pictures when I smile, and I am feeling a little sassier every day. I think next time I'll post some progress pictures...watchout world!

3 comments:

angela said...

WOW!
So happy for you and your life change.
You are an inspiration. Seriously.
You look so darn happy in this photo!!!

Oh, and glad you started blogging too! I can procrastinate even more! Yippee.

Beck said...

I love you Ms. April! yay for tomato soup! Yay for pedicures tomorrow! yay for your success. You are amazing... BTW-- so sorry I've been MIA, I've been wicked sick.

me said...

You look gorgeous!