Monday, February 18, 2008

Celebrating Without Food

I am so proud of myself. I can't believe I made it through the entire weekend without a bite, lick or taste of any food aside from the prescribed shakes and soup.

I can never just take the easy road and have a nice relaxing weekend on the first few days of my plan, instead I throw myself into the challenge by celebrating both my fabulous boyfriend's birthday at a restaurant with 22 other people, and the traveling to Asheville for my sisters birthday. Of course went to dinner for my sister's birthday, but then also brunch on Sunday with my girlfriends.

Friday was easy. I got to the restaurant early and talked to our waitress about my special needs and she took my soup to the back and prepared it for me and brought it out when everyone else was having dinner. It looked so scrumptious in a large flat bowl and none of T's coworkers knew any different. I was able to tell my close friends about my new adventure and I was so relieved by their support (of course after the initial shock). I avoided all the appetizers and kept busy by fluttering around and talking to people.

Saturday was a little more tough. I realized that there were a lot of emotional triggers for food that made me want to eat. One was being in my sisters house and seeing the Doritos, Chocolate Chip Cookie cake (my absolute favorite!!) and my Granny. Something about the comfort of Granny triggers my desire to eat. I was able to listen to my body and realize that I wasn't actually hungry - my mind was! The waitress at Saturday nights dinner wasn't as accommodating and wasn't to excited about my lack of food and drink order - little did she know that the amazing waitress from the night before got a 40% tip from me since I didn't have a bill. I also realized that after studying I immediately wanted to snack and I started to crave salty, crunchy foods. I am in an Executive MBA program and it is extremely challenging and time consuming, so my stress levels have definately increased.

Overall, the past three days haven't been too bad (especially since I have already lost 5 lbs!!). I did have a couple of moments where I had a hard time concentrating and felt a little spacy, but after I drank a shake that feeling went away and I actually got a boost of energy. I also had moments where I felt hungry, but then realized it wasn't real hunger. I also had some wicked dreams about food where I would stuff myself with macaroni and cheese and chips and then realize I wasn't supposed to eat those things and panic. It's funny how your subconscious comes out in your dreams.

Today at lunch I see my trainer for the first time since being on the program and I am excited to share my success with her. She'll have to take it easier on me - but she is excited about the challenge and wants to see all my stats each week. One of my favorite grrlllzz also encouraged me to blog about my experience because of the support you can receive. It feels so good to have such an amazing support system ~ I can't imagine my success without them!

3 comments:

Beck said...

I love you Ms. Babaaam! I feel so honored to read about this process every step of the way.

You are an inspiration. let me know when you want to go for a walk or something! Ooooh--- and Monopoly.

Love and Love and Love you. Beck

Tyson said...

I'm proud of you honey. I don't think I could have done it, especially with all that yummy stuff around. Monopoly and/or walking would be fun too. Good idea Becky

me said...

First off, congratulations on making it through a very tempting weekend. You did it! You go Girl!

The waitress on the second night obviously could use a lesson in loving other women. Imagine how much she would appreciate it if she were in your shoes? But whatev! Her loss, literally!

Stress, is the Queen Temptress, she loves to get us to submit to the food. Don't girl, be strong. I will try and be strong, too.

I, too, started with my trainer again and it will be interesting to see the progress along the way.